Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) have stated that they believe a charging e-cigarette exploded and started a fire which ultimately led to the death of its owner.

Wallasey's Mr David Thomson, 62, was found dead in his living room on Tuesday evening and although the exact cause of death is yet to be formally confirmed, MFRS felt confident enough of the cause to comment on the matter.

MFRS area manager, Myles Platt, explained: “The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.

"We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged, and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.

"Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source.

This is the ninth incident on Merseyside of a fire involving an e-cigarette since January this year.