Fire officers in North Wales have warned residents and business owners of the dangers of electrical fires following a number of incidents.

The warning came after three fires at commercial properties during one weekend in mid-April which were all believed to have been started due to electrical faults.

Stuart Millington, senior Fire Safety manager, said: “Luckily there were no casualties, and due to the efforts of our fire crews the commercial properties had minimal damage.”

During the same weekend fire crews also attended five residential fires which are all believed to have been started due to an electrical fault.

“Fires in the home can be devastating, and sadly two of the five fires had caused substantial damage to the homes," added Mr Millington.

“We attend around 470 accidental fires in dwellings each year and electricity or electrical items are responsible for over 300 of these fires.

“Last October a fire in Llanrwst which claimed the lives of two men aged 19 and 39 was most likely to have started in a tumble dryer. The matter remains subject to a coroner’s inquest."

Advice provided by the fire and rescue teams includes not overloading plug sockets, checking for frayed wires, unplug appliances when not in use and keep appliances clean and in good working order.